Article Text

PDF
P-023 Pre-clinical testing of new generation thin flm nitinol flow diverter using elastase-induced aneurysm model
  1. Y Ding1,
  2. D Dai1,
  3. S Asnafi1,
  4. R Kadirvel1,
  5. C Kealey2,
  6. D Kallmes1
  1. 1Radiology, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN
  2. 2NeuroSigma, Inc., Los Angeles, CA

Abstract

Purpose The first generation thin film nitinol (TFN) flow diverter (metal coverage <20%, pore density 70 pores/mm2) has been reported to achieve flow diverter in experimental aneurysms. In this study, further effects of new generation TFN flow diverter (metal coverage <30%, pore density ≥150 pores/mm2) on flow diversion were tested in elastase-induced aneurysms.

Methods The new TFN device was deployed in 8 elastase-induced aneurysms in the rabbits; devices were also placed over 5 lumbar arteries to test the patency of small branch arteries of the parent artery. Follow up angiography was performed two months after deployment to assess aneurysm occlusion and lumbar artery flow. Aneurysm occlusion was graded on a 3-point scale (grade I, complete occlusion; grade II, near-complete occlusion; grade III, incomplete occlusion).

Results Mean aneurysm neck, width and height sizes were 3.7±0.7, 4.8±2.1, and 10.2±1.3 mm, respectively. Dramatically reduced intra-aneurysmal flow was observed on angiography immediately after device placement in all aneurysms (block arrow in figure B). Complete occlusion (arrow in figure C) was achieved in 5 (63%) aneurysms, two other aneurysms (25%) showed near complete occlusion at 2 month follow-up. The total complete or near complete occlusion rate was (88%). In another aneurysm (12%) the TFN flow diverter did not fully cover the aneurysm neck region, in which only incomplete occlusion was achieved in this aneurysm. All lumbar arteries (5 pairs) treated with the device were patent immediately after deployment and at follow-up.

Conclusions High rates of complete or near-complete aneurysm occlusion at 2 month follow-up can be achieved using new generation TFN device. Branch arteries remain patent after device deployment.

Disclosures Y. Ding: None. D. Dai: None. S. Asnafi: None. R. Kadirvel: None. C. Kealey: 5; C; Dr. Kealey is an employee of NeuroSigma, Inc, which is the manufacturer of the TFN device in this study. D. Kallmes: None.

Statistics from Altmetric.com

Request permissions

If you wish to reuse any or all of this article please use the link below which will take you to the Copyright Clearance Center’s RightsLink service. You will be able to get a quick price and instant permission to reuse the content in many different ways.