Article Text

Download PDFPDF
LB-013 Real world performance of the zoom aspiration system: insights from the NVQI-QOD registry
  1. K Moldovan1,
  2. J Singer2,
  3. B Bohnstedt3,
  4. T Peebles4,
  5. D Altschul5,
  6. B Chancellor5,
  7. V Vadlamudi6,
  8. M Hussain7,
  9. J Tsai8,
  10. A Khaladi9,
  11. M Lawson10,
  12. B Welch11,
  13. A Patel12,
  14. M Jayaraman1
  1. 1Rhode Island Hospital, Providence, RI
  2. 2Spectrum Health, Grand Rapids, MI
  3. 3Indiana University, Indianopolis, IN
  4. 4Radiology Associates of the Fox Valley, Neenah, WI
  5. 5Valley Health System, Ridgewood, NJ
  6. 6Memorial Hospital, South Bend, IN
  7. 7The Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, OH
  8. 8The Cleveland Clinc Foundation, Cleveland, OH
  9. 9Kennestone Hospital, Marietta, GA
  10. 10Tallahassee Memorial Healthcare, Tallahassee, FL
  11. 11UT Southwestern, Dallas, TX
  12. 12Swedish Cherry Hill, Seattle, WA


Background The real-world performance of the Zoom aspiration system is not well studied as compared with preliminary trials.

Objective To compare the real-world performance of the Zoom aspiration system with preliminary trials, using data from the NeuroVascular Quality Initiative-Quality Outcomes Database (NVQI-QOD).

Methods We retrospectively reviewed the NVQI-QOD Database for all cases where the Zoom aspiration catheters were used. Cases where the Zoom system was used only as a guide catheter, or as second-line were excluded. We also excluded patients with significant pre-stroke disability, or those in whom pre-stroke functional status was not recorded. For all patients, we recorded their baseline demographic information including age, sex, pre-treatment imaging. Procedural details including clot location, first pass and final mTICI scores, time to revascularization and use of adjunctive therapies were also analyzed.

Results 211 patients met inclusion criteria and were available for analysis. Median age was 70, with 47% Female and median NIHSS of 15. Most common clot location was the M1 segment (92/211, 43.6%) followed by M2 (68/211, 32.2%) and intracranial ICA (21/211, 10%). Medium sized vessels including M3/M4, A2/3, P2 accounted for 13/211 (6.2%) of all patients. For all clot locations, rates of mTICI 2c/3 rate were 37.8% after first pass, and 59.2% overall. For mTICI 2b/2c/3, the rate was 59% first pass, and 91.9% overall. Median time from arterial puncture to recanalization was 22 minutes. The first pass technique was aspiration alone in 67.8% of patients, and aspiration with stent-retriever in the remaining 32.2%. Adjunctive therapies including intra- or extra-cranial angioplasty and/or stenting was performed in 19/211 (9%) of patients. When examining by clot location, rates of final mTICI 2c/3 were 53.8% for ICA, 58.7% for M1, 57.4% for M2 and 69.2% for medium vessels (M3/M4/A2/A3/P2). Among patients with 90-day follow-up, 53.2% were independent (mRs 0-2). Overall rate of symptomatic intracranial hemorrhage was 2.8%.

Conclusions We present real world data from the NVQI-QOD registry of the Zoom beveled aspiration system. Overall rates of successful reperfusion are high and there are no safety concerns.

Disclosures K. Moldovan: None. J. Singer: 2; C; Stryker, Kaneka, Imperative Care. 3; C; Medtronic, Nico, Rapid Medical. 6; C; Cerenovous, Imperative Care. B. Bohnstedt: 2; C; Stryker. T. Peebles: None. D. Altschul: 2; C; Siemens,, Stryker, Microvention, Cerenovus. 6; C; Synchron, Bendit, Sim&Cure, Serenity, vonMedical. B. Chancellor: None. V. Vadlamudi: None. M. Hussain: None. J. Tsai: None. A. Khaladi: None. M. Lawson: None. B. Welch: None. A. Patel: None. M. Jayaraman: 6; C; Data for this abstract provided by Imperative Care, Inc and statistical work verified by the senior author. No funds were provided.

Statistics from

Request Permissions

If you wish to reuse any or all of this article please use the link below which will take you to the Copyright Clearance Center’s RightsLink service. You will be able to get a quick price and instant permission to reuse the content in many different ways.